Sunday, September 9, 2007

Yet Another Taser Blog Post: Taser for Women


I was recently contacted by WKMG-TV Local 6 News reporter Kimberly Houk concerning a story she was doing on Taser for women. Scottsdale-based Taser International has put out a sleek Taser that is available in designer colors dubbed the C2.

While I'm not totally against firearms and Taser weaponry for civilians, I have quite a few concerns. I agreed enthusiastically to meet with Kimberly and her crew at her Orlando, FL, TV studios.

I had not worked with Kimberly before, so I was not sure what to expect. I found the experience to be terrific and the finished product was great. The video package was aired on September 6, 2007 on Local 6 News at 11.

I brought along a portable target stand and Tasers for Kimberly to fire. We videoed some me giving Kimberly some Taser instruction and fired the Tasers in the studio. Kimberly did a good job, as did another one of the station's employees. We then did the sit down interview.






As I mentioned to Kimberly in the interview, I would like to see Taser, and other companies, mandate more training. Here in Central Florida, we put recruit students in the Basic Law Enforcement Academies I manage through 770 hours of intense training. Even then, they are only just beginning to acquire the necessary tools, skills, and mindset needed to face an aggressor in a stress-filled, real-life situation. I'm not sure many people have the skills and attitude needed to, without hesitation, fend off an aggressor. I fear that the weapon could be used against them or that there is potential for misuse.

Even with that said, as I tell the police academy recruits, you often don't know how you will react in a dangerous situation until you are faced with one. While I believe in choice and freedom in the United States, I still wish there was more that could be done to protect the civilian Taser bearer and us against the Taser and possible misuse.

You can watch the Local 6 News at 11 story on the civilian use of Tasers for women on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxoCgyNvkM

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote an essay about how women are becoming more and more likely to start carrying taser guns for everyday protection against predators. I would have to agree with you that civilians really need to undergo a series of training classes before they are allowed to carry a taser gun. I was also concerned that a taser could be taken from the woman and used against her which could be more dangerous than if she didn't have one at all. I do not think that I personally will ever be carrying a taser or a gun of any sort because I would be afraid that it would be used on me by a talented attacker. So, this brings up the question, if I was to own a taser someday should I also take some sort of martial arts class to help make sure I can keep the attacker from taking my weapon away from me?

Dr. Richard Weinblatt said...

To answer your question in one word...Yes. Not only will the martial arts training sharpen your physical skills, it will also help you to have that survival mindset that is essential to winning when attacked.

Anonymous said...

Training maybe, and definately the right to protect one self...Unfortunately our police forces in Canada are killing many of its' citizens with these machines. At least if they used their gun and perhaps took out a kneecap or something rather that kill people with the taser. They don't seem to get that they are "playing" with a lethal force. Let's stick to bear spray or that blinder light thing until this is properly researched.

Rondell said...

Them taser guns nice if you can afford them. Personally, I just carry around a bat at night. That seem to get the point across real good and it's cheap.