Sunday, June 3, 2007

Bulletproof Vest Interest Continues



It seems that the interest in bullet proof vests on the part of the media has not waned (please see blog post below). The day after I did the bullet proof vest show and tell in the downtown Orlando studios of Central Florida News 13, Fox 35 10:00 News had me come to their WOFL-TV studios in Lake Mary, FL, to film an interview with reporter Kelly Joyce.

Kelly, upfront and gracious as always, told me that piece would be fairly short and air within the first 15 minutes of the newscast. Out of the sound bites I offered them, Fox 35 picked my sentiments that agencies should make wearing a bulletproof vest part of a mandatory officer safety policy.

Luckily for the deputy sheriffs who were shot (remember, this was the incident that sparked the interest in law enforcement bulletproof vests), they wore their vests. One deputy took a round to the left chest and the vest stopped it.

Maybe these segments will encourage more officers to wear their vests and perhaps budget managers at smaller agencies will see the need to supply all officers with bulletproof vests. You can view the Fox 35 10:00 News video below.

2 comments:

Fred Weston said...

Which department were you formerly chief of? I live in Port Orange (Volusia) and have questions that I'd like to be able to ask officers directly about, but unfortunately don't know any police or other LEOs. Do you know if departments ever have any sort of Q&A sessions that are open to the public?

Dr. Richard Weinblatt said...

I was the police chief for the City of Randleman, North Carolina, and now serve as the manager for the police academy at Seminole Community College. Detailed biographical information is on my website: www.policearticles.com.

You can certainly contact Port Orange Police Department or the Volusia County Sheriff's Office with your questions.

Of course, depending on the question, I'd be happy to provide answers for you also.